- Reduce sound.
- Direct and spread exhaust gases.
- Clean exhaust gases (applies especially to mufflers equipped with catalyst).
- Control backpressure to optimize engine performance and emissions.
- Very tough demands on the ability to withstand high temperature (up to 800°C), fatigue, shocks and bumps since the application is subjected to very high vibrations, hot exhaust gases and is often placed in an exposed position.
- Demands for anticorrosive treatment.
- Withhold law requirements regarding exhaust temperature and sparks.
Dimension, Weight and Material
- Metal strip, thickness 0.5-1.5mm. Most often draw quality with or without a coated aluminized layer, or stainless steel.
- Solder paste, rings and sheets (for brazed mufflers only): copper and/or copper/tin.
- Catalyst as plate, wire mesh or honeycomb.
- Volume from »150-950ml.
- Deep drawing (often complicated geometries and/or draw depth) or progressive tools.
- Brazing or crimping into complete units (often delivered with a spark arrester).
- High demands for good fit between components (applies especially for brazed mufflers).
- Spot welding and welding.
- With or without backpressure control.
- Anti corrosive treatment/surface treatment with black oxidation, plastisols or paint.